27.4.11

Destination Dixon

A while back when it was still nippy I cycled down to Portobello Dock for a nosy and some sort of tea time treat. There had been much hype about Tom Dixons new venture,  an opportunity to showcase his own products and his recommended picks with Stevie Parle heading the kitchen. The marriage of top class product design and well meaning food was always going to be a solid effort from Dixon.

Textiles and other bits available for buying and on left the punched metal lights made on the premises.

The products on offer were select but ample, in range and price points. Choice Phaidon books (I spent a while with the El Bulli secrets,) jewellery of Nordic descent and larger scale bespoke arm chairs, all of which watch over the placcid waters of the canal - picturesque indeed.

Chairs, Karl Lagerfeld helmet, books and monochrome tiles

Post roaming called for a coffee break. I weaved through packed tables of design enthusiasts and archetypal west London locals with their colourful plates, to my table adjacent to the open plan kitchen. I had once read that open kitchens are proud ones with nothing to hide, with that in mind I can see why Parle hasn't shied away. Although I only sampled a perfectly fine slice of melt-in-the-middle chocolate tart and a brew the wafting smells did make me wish I was hungrier and hadn't filled up on my Mexican eggs beforehand. I will have to come back and taste the seasonal fare.

My Mexican Eggs: Left over chilli, roast toms, soft boiled egg on muffins with dribblings of hot sauce
and homemade plum ketchup.
Chocolate slice with creme fraiche.


No comments:

Post a Comment